Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's a Boy!!

We are so happy to announce the arrival of August Sean O'Reilly, our little Gus. Gus has immediately made us so happy and we are thrilled that he is here! We think he looks a lot like George, and we cannot wait to see the two of them grow up together.
Gus' birth came at the very beginning of an arctic front that brought below zero temperatures to Denver for 2 days in a row. On Monday morning, I had my regular doctor's appointment where I was determined to be dilated to 2 cm and the baby still very high so I thought we were still days, even a week away from meeting him/her. However, by lunchtime, I was feeling some contractions that were more uncomfortable than usual, but I thought they were more cramp-like after being checked that morning. By 3:00, I called Sean to tell him to head home just in case since it was starting to snow and the roads were looking to be in bad shape. My parents came over, I packed up our stuff, and we headed to the hospital about 5:30 or so.
Although the contractions were getting pretty painful, I was 100% fine in between so I wasn't convinced this was it. But by the time we got the hospital, I was dilated to 5 cm and admitted. By the time we got upstairs to a delivery room, I was 7 cm. Within about 10 minutes, my water broke and was I told that I could start pushing right then! It took about 3 pushes and out came our little Gus - my mom didn't even make it in time to see the delivery! We got to the hospital at 6:00 and he was born at 7:35 weighing 7 lbs, 6 oz, and 20 inches long. Sean and I were both in shock that it went so quickly and that he was a he!!


He was immediately placed on my chest and stayed there for over an hour. Once the nurses started to check him over and clean him up, they realized his blood sugar was low so he needed a bit of formula to get back to normal. Once he did that, he's been perfectly fine ever since.
Here are some pictures of the littlest O'Reilly... happy birthday Gus!

Meeting his big bro, George. George seriously loves holding babies and was so excited to meet Gus. At one point, the pediatrician came in to do a check on Gus and Gus started screaming. Poor George got so upset and started crying himself, he loves his brother so much already!

The O'Reilly men...

Coming home this afternoon... This is the same sign as when George came home, with "A" changed to "Another."

Getting used to his home sweet home...


I overestimated how big this baby would be, and Gus' clothes were enormous on him! My sister made him this sweet hat - it will fit him better very soon, I'm sure.

Welcome to our family, Gus, we love you so much!!!

5 comments:

Debbie and Matt said...

Anne,

Congrats! We are so excited for you. Welcome baby Gus. He and George look adorable together.

Sweet Baby James said...

My head just exploded with the cuteness that is your new banner. OMG, best sibling photo EVER! George looks overjoyed to be a big brother and so in love already! This whole post has me teary-eyed, especially how tiny he looks in those newborn clothes. My baby is ginormous :-( OMG, I am literally crying right now. I am so thrilled for you all. 2 boys are the best, and I can't wait for Mac and Gus to be best buddies!

Laura Loo said...

Welcome little Gus! I can't wait to meet you very soon! Love all the pictures, especially with big bro George!

Lacey said...

Congratulations! George looks like a great big brother, Gus is adorable and you look fantastic! Enjoy your babymoon! & Hooray for a fast delivery.

Erin Sungy said...

Congrats anne, we have been thinking of you guys and checking your blog for news! George looks so cute and proud. We also adore gus' name!

Erin, matt and alec