Sunday, July 31, 2011

Six Months Old!

Gus is six months old today!  He's already halfway through his first year of life, wow!  It's so amazing how much babies change in six months.  Here's all the latest with our Gus-man.
  • He is really getting to be a strong baby.  He can sit up like an expert now and is able to arch his back in such defiance that will throw him right out of your arms if you're not paying attention.
  • He is very slowly beginning to improve in the sleep department.  Last night he slept from 8:30-4:30 which is beyond awesome for Gus so I'm really hoping it continues.  I'd really like to fill in the blank in his baby book that asks for the first time he sleeps through the night :)



He is getting to be pretty predictable in napping, which is helpful for us to know when he's ready for a rest. 
  • He wakes up so happy every morning, with lots of smiles and even wraps his arms around you when you pick him up.


  • His favorite things in the world are me, Sean, George, and riding in shopping carts.  His least favorite things are the sound of the vacuum and being out of view of his family.

Trying some baby sweet potatoes, he's still not that into it!


Here comes trouble!
This is George at 6 months - do you think they look alike?


Whenever I read other friends' blogs, they always say that when their second baby is born that it's the happiest they've ever been and they can't imagine life without them.  In some ways I completely agree - I cannot imagine life without sweet Gus.  He's the most loving, sweet, clever, charming baby ever and I love him with every bit of my heart.  However, in all honesty, while these six months have had some of my happiest moments, this has been the hardest six months of my life.  I know that some people are thinking, "Hey, I have xyz that makes my life harder," which is very true, but for me it has really been hard at times and that's just how my emotions have played out in my situation.  Some people are better under stressful situations that me!
  I have had some of my happiest moments with both boys, but also some very hard ones as George and I adjust to having someone new to share our time and energy with during every day.  Being the parent of a "strong-willed" child and a new baby that doesn't sleep at night can really do a number on you!  I'm not complaining at all, because I'm so very blessed to have two healthy, beautiful sons, but instead I'm just trying to share my feelings in case someone else who reads this thinks that everyone is happy all the time.  I've never felt so tired, so frustrated, so guilty, so stressed, so proud, and so lucky in my life.  I'm so grateful for every blessing we have, and I look forward to each day I spend with my wonderful family (and to the days when I get to get away!).
Happy half-birthday, Gus, we are madly in love with you and love every smile you give us each day!

6 comments:

Laura Loo said...

Love you all!!!

Sweet Baby James said...

Happy half birthday Gus! I love the comparison between him and George at the same age. They are both adorable. You are an amazing mama to two very lucky boys :-)

Matt said...

You are a great mommy!! I love how honest you are on your blog. It is hard with two and sometimes I worry I am doing everything wrong or may damage them for life. My friend always reminds me the days are long but the years are fast. It is so true. Miss you guys! Can that six month old be any cuter?

Matt said...

Oops!! That is me, Debbie not Matt!

THE MERCIER'S said...

Happy half birthday to Gus! And I totally agree that it is soo hard having two kids, but it is well worth all the challenges we face :-) and you are doing an awesome job because you have two wonderful, very cute children!

The Haley's said...

With each kid, I've felt everything was better after 6 months! Counting the days this time:) Also I just read a book called setting limits with your strong willed child, it has changed my family! Hubs is reading it now and I can give it to Katy if you'd like it next!
bravo to you for saying something, a lot of people don't but feel the very same way!